Two of the most important parts of the writing process are planning and editing. These are also often the most challenging for children. Editing is all about awareness of audience and purpose and being able to consciously use grammar, punctuation, vocabulary and text structure to make writing a better read. This course will explore the process of editing, the subject knowledge that teachers require to guide children in their editing and the strategies teachers can use to support the editing process. Delivered by Penny Boardman.
- develop their understanding of the difference between proofreading and editing
- explore how awareness of audience if essential for effective editing
- develop their subject knowledge of text structures and grammatical features of different forms of writing
- have an practical experience in identifying what a child should focus on to improve their writing
- have practical experience in crafting feedback and planning how to teach editing
Dates: 11 January 2021 Time: 9.30am-3.30pm