Initial Teacher Training

Are you motivated, inspired and committed to making a positive difference to childrens’ lives? Apply now for our Excellent Initial Teacher Training (ITT).

The Beach Teaching School Alliance offers exciting opportunities to train to teach, run in partnership Somerset SCITT and the University of Worcester working with highly regarded schools across Somerset that are experienced in quality teacher training at all levels. We are looking for professional trainees who have enthusiasm, empathy, resilience and confidence and who are eager to learn in order to support curious young minds.

The Somerset School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) works with over 60 schools to provide initial teacher education (ITE) leading to qualifications to teach in the primary sector.  SCITT presently offers qualified teacher status (QTS) through two routes: Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) and School Direct (SD).  Within these routes trainees can choose to train for either the 3 to 7 or 5 to 11 age ranges.  SCITT also offers a specialism in special educational needs and disability (SEND).

SCITT has been judged as outstanding in the last 3 OFSTED inspections. 94% of trainees last year had secured teaching posts by September and 70% of trainees achieved a grade 1 (the remaining 30% achieved grade 2).  All grades are confirmed by external moderation, undertaken by an External Examiner (EE) appointed by the University of Worcester, who are a partner organisation on the PGCE route.

As a trainee on our Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course, you would be expected to develop and demonstrate a set of standards that are associated with the professionalism of a teacher.  These professional characteristics, among others, are developed, monitored and assessed during placement experience and through engagement and participation during taught sessions and course assessments.

Entry requirements:

  • An honours degree from a UK higher education institution
  • You will require GCSE grade C or above in English, Maths and a Science subject.
  • We accept applications from candidates who are currently studying for any of the above qualifications; however any offers made would be conditional on achieving the required grade.
  • You will be asked to complete an application for Declaration and Barring Service (DBS) check and will require appropriate ID and documents for this.
  • You will be asked to complete an Occupational Health form/self-declaration about your fitness and wellness to teach.
  • You have a strong commitment to Early Years/Primary education and have spent time working (either paid or in a voluntary capacity) in a primary school setting.

What we are looking for:

We believe that good teachers make a crucial difference to children’s outcomes and wellbeing and so are looking for people who can inspire and motivate young learners.  We are dedicated to making a difference and our impact-focused provision seeks to inspire trainees to inspire the pupils they teach. Few sights are as rewarding as that of the curious young mind in pursuit of knowledge and few careers combine excellent professional prospects with the opportunity to instill in others a love of learning that will last a lifetime.  To achieve this, we aim to build on the strengths of individual trainees, looking for people who have a passion and commitment to become the best teacher they can be.

How we select our trainees: 

We work in partnership with Somerset SCITT in the selection process. Short listed applicants are invited to attend our selection day, which involves a pupil activity, interview, presentation, group activity and written reflective piece.  This is a thorough and rigorous procedure that enables us to ensure we select the very best trainees for our pupils.  The process is also an opportunity for you to find out more about Bournville Primary School and Somerset SCITT, to ensure that we are the best provider to support you in becoming an expert teacher. Our training is tailored to each trainee teacher and your placement schools will be carefully selected to suit your individual needs.

Bournville Primary School in Weston-super-Mare is the lead school of The Beach Teaching School Alliance. An outstanding school in North Somerset, Bournville is very well-placed to lead The Beach Teaching School Alliance’s teacher training programme with partners Somerset SCITT and University of Worcester. We pride ourselves on our excellent record and achievements in all areas of primary education.

Funding

Further information on funding and bursaries is available from the DfE’s Get Into Teaching website: Get Into Teaching

Apply

Useful Links

If you would like further information about entering a career in teaching, you may find the following websites useful: